Starting or Running a PTA E-list?
In order to foster communication, MCCPTA maintains a number of E-Lists, including MCCPTA_Delegates, which is open to all who wish to subscribe, and a number of other lists which have restricted membership (MCCPTA_Board, MCCPTA_Treasurers and MCCPTA_Presidents). A detailed description of, and subscription information for all lists can be found in documents listed below. These E-Lists are a way to pass along important information to our local PTAs, and to facilitate communication between the PTA/PTSAs of public schools in our county. Some MCCPTA Committees also maintain specialized E-Lists of their own. A list of committees that have E-Lists can be found in one of the documents below, or you can contact the chair of a committee you are interested in to see if one is maintained by them.
Many people are confused by the name of the MCCPTA_Delegates E-List – its name is historical, and thus has been retained, but it is meant for discussion, and other items detailed in the Summary Table found among the documents below.
MCCPTA E-list Documents:
A Beginners Guide to the MCCPTA E-list
May 24, 2006
Last updated April 15, 2010
- MCCPTA maintains a number of E-lists.
- MCCPTA_Delegates. While this list is open to all who wish to subscribe, it is important to note that as decided at the Feb. 27, 2007 Delegates Assembly, only people with voting privileges at a DA will be able to post messages to MCCPTA_Delegates.
- You must make a request to be added this list. Addition is not automatic!
- The other lists are:
- MCCPTA_Board, which is for MCCPTA Board of Directors members only plus the E-Communications Committee and Website Committee Chairs and the MCCPTA Office Manager
- MCCPTA_Treasurers, which is for Treasurers of locals only, plus the MCCPTA President and Treasurer, E-Communications Committee and Website Committee Chairs and the MCCPTA Office Manager
- MCCPTA_Presidents, which is for Presidents and Executive Vice Presidents of locals only, plus the MCCPTA President and Vice-Presidents, E-Communications Committee and Website Committee Chairs and the MCCPTA Office Manager
- Other MCCPTA Officers, Area Vice Presidents and Cluster Coordinators may also request to be added to the MCCPTA_Treasurers and MCCPTA_Presidents E-lists.
- Local Presidents may request to be added to the MCCPTA_Treasurers E-list, but will only be added if the local Treasurer is also on the E-list since the point of the E-list is to reach local Treasurers directly.
- The MCCPTA_Treasurers E-List is a moderated E-List, where only local Treasurers may post, but all messages are moderated and require approval before being sent out.
E-list Moderators and Owners
- There is one primary moderator, also called the E-Comunications Committee Chair, for all MCCPTA E-Lists who handles all administrative tasks such as adding new subscribers, changing email addresses, changing delivery options, etc.
- For the lists that are ‘moderator post only’ or ‘moderated,’ in addition to the primary moderator, there are other people designated as moderators who have the ability to post messages. These people include the MCCPTA President and Treasurer.
- In addition, for all MCCPTA E-Lists, the MCCPTA President may appoint other moderators as needed from among the MCCPTA Officers. Finally, since it is recommended that all E-Lists have multiple owners, the President reserves the right to appoint for all E-Lists an additional owner or owners from the MCCPTA Officers or the E-Communications Committee who has knowledge and expertise with E-Lists.
- Instructions for joining all the E-Lists can be found in the subscription information document and on the MCCPTA website. It is extremely important that you read the instructions carefully and follow them exactly. If there is a problem, contact the moderator.
- As long as they have provided the requested contact information, including an email address (Blue Book information for local’s presidents and treasurers), new Board members are eligible to be added automatically (once contact info is received by Moderator) to the MCCPTA_Board E-List as soon as they assume office, Presidents of locals are eligible to be added automatically to the MCCPTA_Presidents E-List upon assuming office, and Treasurers of locals are eligible to be added automatically to the MCCPTA_Treasurers E-List upon assuming office. However , it is strongly recommended that you request a subscription by following subscription instructions found on the website or there could be a significant delay in being added, since Blue Book information may not be available until the fall. Therefore, all categories of members are strongly encouraged to use the instructions found on the website for the fastest way to subscribe to the E-Lists.
- Other MCCPTA Officers, Area Vice Presidents and Cluster Coordinators need to also follow the instructions on the website to request to be added to MCCPTA_Presidents and/or MCCPTA_Treasurers – they are not added automatically. The same is true for local Presidents that wish to be put on the MCCPTA_Treasurers E-List, and that wish to have their President Elect or Vice Presidents added to the MCCPTA_Presidents E-List.
E-list/Spotlight Committee Chair and E-list Moderator
E-list Committee Reports / Workplan